Feijoa Fruit

Now I'm really at a lost as to how I should start describing my trip down in New Zealand.

I knew for a fact when I decided to travel down to Australia to graduate earlier this year, it was my intention to make the trip mostly about New Zealand, seeing I've seen most part of Australia on my last leg of Eastern Australian backpack journey.

So what I did was that after attending my convoy, I took a flight down to visit Tasmania (the last part of Southern Eastern Australia I have yet to step foot on then) for a week or so.

malaysia - melbourne - adelaide - tasmania


And proceeded to spend the rest of my travel expedition in kiwi land.

hobart to auckland


Spending time in New Zealand was really fun. I met up with lots of new friends, random strangers, hitch hike across the Southern Island and bunked with readers.

It's going to be quite an adventure to tell.

Not knowing how to begin, I'll start by introducing a fruit I've never heard before I arrived in New Zealand.

feijoa fruit


This is Feijoa fruit. The day I arrived, my host kindly cut up the fruit for me to try. While informing me that only New Zealand produced this fruit.

feijoa fruit half


Not surprising, I thought, after all, New Zealand did rather look like it's situated in its own planet, away from every one else.

But after googling it, I realise that, and this is going to be a surprise to MOST Kiwis or New Zealand residents, Feijoa does not come from New Zealand, and it is not ONLY grown in New Zealand.

*shocking* now take a deep breath kiwis.


Read here. The fruit in fact originated from South America and have been spotted in some parts of America.

While it's not surprising to find them in Austalia and other small parts of Asia (due to their geographical distance). Though they do have a lot of these in New Zealand.




The fruit is also known as Pineapple Guava or Guavasteen. Taste like one too. Only sweeter, softer and easier to eat. Much easier to eat. There's no seed at all.

This is how you eat a Feijoa Fruit.

1. First you cut the fruit in half from side section like so.

cutting feijoa fruit


2. Then you take a teaspoon and scoop the inside out.

scooping feijoa fruit


Do it like how you would do it to empty half a half-boiled egg from its shell.

Twist it and scoop the flesh around its skin.

scooping out new zealand feijoa fruit


3. Then you eat.

inside of feijoa fruit



Ermm.. Yummy.

Given the chance again, I could actually sit in front of the TV and eat this whole day long.

Share:

12 kissed Nicole

  1. Eh..taste like jambu right? There's a restaurant in Auckland that serves feijoa sorbet. it's so nice you can really faint. hey, did u try the kiwano?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh..taste like jambu right? There's a restaurant in Auckland that serves feijoa sorbet. it's so nice you can really faint. hey, did u try the kiwano?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. Look very delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope there's feijoa in Malaysia's market... It seems like guava but does it taste alike too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. another shocking fact to some people is that Kiwi Fruit is not from NZ. It was originally from China.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey how does it taste like?
    Din see that anywer whilst I was there though. I din even eat Kiwi! Talk about being in Kiwi land! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha..it looks so like a cucumber!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, droppingby on my 1st ever visit. :)

    So funny too that the kiwi fruit wuz actually called chinese gooseberry and it's origination is ...well, take a good guess! lolz

    You've got yourself another stalker! ^_^
    +Ant+

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where can I get a feijoa this time of year in Melbourne?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does anyone know where I can get a feijoa in Melbourne at this time of the year?

    ReplyDelete